Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Cheap and Lazy: Breakfast and Lunch

For Breakfast, I generally ask my kids, Do you want:

oatmeal (plain with applesauce)
Peanut Butter and honey (sandwich on wheat bread)
Cheese toast (shredded cheese on wheat bread, in the toaster oven for 5 minutes)
cereal (usually Cheerios or Frosted Mini-Wheats.... but the knock off version because I'm cheap)
Quesadilla (tortilla topped with shredded cheese and microwaved for 30 seconds)

Lunch is basically the same options, minus the oatmeal or cereal, with leftovers from the night before added in to the mix.

If Sweetheart is home for breakfast (sometimes on the weekends) he'll make grits and eggs or french fries  with an egg for everyone (the latter he calls "hashbrowns" and no argument in the world can convince him that they are not, in fact, hashbrowns, but just french fries topped with an egg...such are the debates at my house)  I am much too lazy to do such things every morning.  Sweetheart, if I haven't told you, is NOT lazy.  Its kind of irritating sometimes how much energy he has.  That's jealousy talking if you didn't catch it-- since I am, certainly, the opposite of high energy.  Its good, of course, to have lots of energy when one often works 30 hours at a time and 80+ hours a week.  Obviously God called him to do that and not me.  Thank you, God.

Anyway, back to breakfasts and lunches...

I try to throw in to the mix as a side:
raisins
apples (sliced, often with peanut butter)
bananas
nuts
dried fruit
yogurt
applesauce
small cubes of cheese

For snack we have the above, but I've been making a lot of easy cheap homemade from the microwave popcorn lately.

What are your "go to" cheap and easy options for breakfast and lunch?

No comments:

Post a Comment