Friday, January 14, 2011

Lazy vs. Cheap: Popcorn

I'm very lazy.
I'm also very cheap frugal money contentious ...ok... cheap.
I also love popcorn.  Love.  It.
I have discovered that microwave popcorn is approximately $3.50 a pound.  No, I didn't do the math, Squawkfox did in this article.  She goes on to say kernel corn is $.50 a pound.  Wow. Then she lists the ingredients in a typical microwave popcorn.  Ew.  Then she says you can pop the corn in a plain brown bag.  Wow.  Again.
You should read the article, but it basically says:


  1. Put 1/4 cup corn in a plain brown paper lunch bag.  
  2. Add a drizzle of EVOO.  
  3. Add any other seasonings.  
  4. Or don't do the last two steps.  That's OK too.  I made the kids some without EVOO or seasonings.  They thought it was fine.  They're pretty deprived though ;)
  5. Shake the bag.  
  6. Fold the top down two times and staple the top.  
  7. No, your microwave will not spark and explode.  
  8. If you don't believe me use tape.
  9. Hit the popcorn button.
  10. Carefully open the bag so the steam doesn't hurt you and you try to sue me or Squawkfox like that crazy McDonalds lady who was burned.  
  11. Eat the popcorn and write me a note saying how genius I am.
  12. Ok, write a note to Squawkfox.
  13. You can write me a note too though.
The quick version is...

  1. Add 1/4 cup popcorn + seasonings
  2. Seal the bag
  3. Hit the popcorn button on your microwave

...but that list isn't nearly as interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment