Wednesday, January 19, 2011

vegetables that steam themselves

So I was discussing with my friend yesterday how lazy I am and she mentioned the steam-in-their-bag-vegetables.  Do you know what I'm talking about?  The ones that you take from the freezer, throw the entire bag in the microwave, and a few minutes later you cut the bag open to find wonderfully steamed vegetables, with no pot to clean up or watch after.  I haven't really used these very many times, but in my quest of lazy vs. cheap vs. healthy (yes, believe it or not, I do pursue healthy too... as long as its not too difficult ;) I think I need to try these out.  I've been using canned vegetables a lot lately and think that these would be a good alternative.  I need to do a cost analysis, but there's definitely some vegetables I'm not too fond of canned.

I keep reading that, even though "farmer's market" fresh is the best, "picked 2 weeks ago and trucked in from California" is not, necessarily a very good choice.  Frozen, which is preserved shortly after picking, is actually the 2nd best option behind locally grown.   So, I guess the next time I do a Harris Teeter order, I'll be getting a few.

Lazy and healthy.  Nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment